Opening
The church is always open.
Getting here
A very warm welcome to St Peter and St Paul in Honing.
The current church was originally built in the fifteenth century. It has a dramatically tall C15th tower which dominates the village and local landscape. The church was reconstructed in the eighteenth century, with the work finished in 1795, when the aisle arcades were greatly reduced in width, new windows were constructed with intersecting tracery, and the chancel shortened to four feet in length. During a great wind the pair of west doors were damaged and during the C18th work, the fine doorway was partially bricked up, retaining its richly moulded brick arch, and transformed into a window. The tower’s vast perpendicular west window with dividing transom and tracery remains intact.
The interior of the church was refitted from 1928-1931 at a cost of about £800 with new choir stalls, chancel table, communion rails, pews and pulpit all carved by Cornish & Gaymers (North Walsham) and overseen by Mr Edward Cubitt. His grandson, Mr Thomas Cubitt, was part of the team who oversaw repairs to the tower in 1991, costing £51,000.
Between 2016 and 2017, the church underwent major works, with the help of a £250,000 grant from the National Lottery Fund, to replace and make weatherproof the roof, repair a tower buttress, replace all the rainwater drainage, install underpew heating and make access to the tower safer.
There is an Early English font of Purbeck marble, a brass, hatchments and monuments particularly to the Cubitt family, all well worth discovering. One bell survives from the original peal of 5.
Honing Long Lane
Honing
North Walsham
NR28 9QW
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below